8 Nov 2009

Reclined Recall. Proust. Du coté chez swann (Swan's Way). Part 1, Combray, §6


by
Corry Shores
[Search Blog Here. Index-tags are found on the bottom of the left column.]

[Central Entry Directory]



Reclined Recall


Marcel Proust

Du coté chez swann.

A la recherche du temps perdu. Tome I

Swan's Way

Vol. 1 of Remembrance of Things Past

Première partie


Overture

Combray


I.

§6 /

§7




Previously the narrator discussed how when we sleep, we enter an alternate time dimension. We might awake suddenly in the middle of the night with the feeling that many years have passed since our recent descent into slumber. Or perhaps we awake late the next morning feeling as if we just fell asleep moments ago.

The narrator now wonders about those objects around us that we normally consider immobile. Do we think that they lack motion because we have fixed concepts for them? For, often times the narrator would awake in the darkness, and the things around him seemed to spin about the room. His tired body would then judge from its own pose where the other things in the room should be, while his mind recalls their names in the process. His body has had to awaken and orient to as many rooms as he had slept-in all his life. In as sense, his body itself remembers all these rooms. Whenever he awakes in the darkness, it runs through all these possible room-arrangements, stored in his bodily memory. Indeed, it is his body and not his brain that first recalls all the details of his room. [So perhaps it is only the brain that fixes things, after the body orients us to a world of whirling objects]. For example, he might actually awake lying on his side. But his side would first imagine itself pointed toward the wall in the canopy bed of his Great-Aunt's house long ago in Combray.

Mon côté ankylosé, cherchant à deviner son orientation, s’imaginait, par exemple, allongé face au mur dans un grand lit à baldaquin et aussitôt je me disais: «Tiens, j’ai fini par m’endormir quoique maman ne soit pas venue me dire bonsoir», j’étais à la campagne chez mon grand-père, mort depuis bien des années; et mon corps, le côté sur lequel je reposais, gardiens fidèles d’un passé que mon esprit n’aurait jamais dû oublier, me rappelaient la flamme de la veilleuse de verre de Bohême, en forme d’urne, suspendue au plafond par des chaînettes, al cheminée en marbre de Sienne, dans ma chambre à coucher de Combray, chez mes grands-parents, en des jours lointains qu’en ce moment je me figurais actuels sans me les représenter exactement et que je reverrais mieux tout à l’heure quand je serais tout à fait éveillé.

The stiffened side underneath my body would, for instance, in trying to fix its position, imagine itself to be lying, face to the wall, in a big bed with a canopy; and at once I would say to myself, “Why, I must have gone to sleep after all, and Mamma never came to say good night!” for I was in the country with my grandfather, who died years ago; and my body, the side upon which I was lying, loyally preserving from the past an impression which my mind should never have forgotten, brought back before my eyes the glimmering flame of the night-light in its bowl of Bohemian glass, shaped like an urn and hung by chains from the ceiling, and the chimney-piece of Siena marble in my bedroom at Com-bray, in my great-aunt’s house, in those far distant days which, at the moment of waking, seemed present without being clearly denned, but would become plainer in a little while when I was properly awake.


From the original text:

Peut-être l’immobilité des choses autour de nous leur est-elle imposée par notre certitude que ce sont elles et non pas d’autres, par l’immobilité de notre pensée en face d’elles. Toujours est-il que, quand je me réveillais ainsi, mon esprit s’agitant pour chercher, sans y réussir, à savoir où j’étais, tout tournait autour de moi dans l’obscurité, les choses, les pays, les années. Mon corps, trop engourdi pour remuer, cherchait, d’après la forme de sa fatigue, à repérer la position de ses membres pour en induire la direction du mur, la place des meubles, pour reconstruire et pour nommer la demeure où il se trouvait. Sa mémoire, la mémoire de ses côtes, de ses genoux, de ses épaules, lui présentait successivement plusieurs des chambres où il avait dormi, tandis qu’autour de lui les murs invisibles, changeant de place selon la forme de la pièce imaginée, tourbillonnaient dans les ténèbres. Et avant même que ma pensée, qui hésitait au seuil des temps et des formes, eût identifié le logis en rapprochant les circonstances, lui,—mon corps,—se rappelait pour chacun le genre du lit, la place des portes, la prise de jour des fenêtres, l’existence d’un couloir, avec la pensée que j’avais en m’y endormant et que je retrouvais au réveil. Mon côté ankylosé, cherchant à deviner son orientation, s’imaginait, par exemple, allongé face au mur dans un grand lit à baldaquin et aussitôt je me disais: «Tiens, j’ai fini par m’endormir quoique maman ne soit pas venue me dire bonsoir», j’étais à la campagne chez mon grand-père, mort depuis bien des années; et mon corps, le côté sur lequel je reposais, gardiens fidèles d’un passé que mon esprit n’aurait jamais dû oublier, me rappelaient la flamme de la veilleuse de verre de Bohême, en forme d’urne, suspendue au plafond par des chaînettes, al cheminée en marbre de Sienne, dans ma chambre à coucher de Combray, chez mes grands-parents, en des jours lointains qu’en ce moment je me figurais actuels sans me les représenter exactement et que je reverrais mieux tout à l’heure quand je serais tout à fait éveillé.


Perhaps the immobility of the things that surround us is forced upon them by our conviction that they are themselves, and not anything else, and by the immobility of our conceptions of them. For it always happened that when I awoke like this, and my mind struggled in an unsuccessful attempt to discover where I was, everything would be moving round me through the darkness: things, places, years. My body, still too heavy with sleep to move, would make an effort to construe the form which its tiredness took as an orientation of its various members, so as to induce from that where the wall lay and the furniture stood, to piece together and to give a name to the house in which it must be living. Its memory, the composite memory of its ribs, knees, and shoulder-blades offered it a whole series of rooms in which it had at one time or another slept; while the unseen walls kept changing, adapting themselves to the shape of each successive room that it remembered, whirling madly through the darkness. And even before my brain, lingering in consideration of when things had happened and of what they had looked like, had collected sufficient impressions to enable it to identify the room, it, my body, would recall from each room in succession what the bed was like, where the doors were, how daylight came in at the windows, whether there was a passage outside, what I had had in my mind when I went to sleep, and had found there when I awoke. The stiffened side underneath my body would, for instance, in trying to fix its position, imagine itself to be lying, face to the wall, in a big bed with a canopy; and at once I would say to myself, “Why, I must have gone to sleep after all, and Mamma never came to say good night!” for I was in the country with my grandfather, who died years ago; and my body, the side upon which I was lying, loyally preserving from the past an impression which my mind should never have forgotten, brought back before my eyes the glimmering flame of the night-light in its bowl of Bohemian glass, shaped like an urn and hung by chains from the ceiling, and the chimney-piece of Siena marble in my bedroom at Com-bray, in my great-aunt’s house, in those far distant days which, at the moment of waking, seemed present without being clearly denned, but would become plainer in a little while when I was properly awake.


From:

Proust, Marcel. Du coté chez swann. A la recherche du temps perdu. Tome I.
Available online at:

Proust, Marcel. Swan's Way. Vol. 1 of Remembrance of Things Past. Transl. C.K. Scott Moncrieff
Available online at:




No comments:

Post a Comment